Have you started your spring cleaning? If you are a resident of the Fargo-Moorhead area, you are likely getting ready for Fargo-Moorhead’s Cleanup Week, held this year on May 5-9. Every year, residents of Dilworth, Moorhead, Fargo, and West Fargo have this week to dispose of tires, appliances, and other large items at no charge on their regular garbage collection day.
This Cleanup Week, there’s a great opportunity to get rid of unwanted items in an environmentally sustainable way that also supports the local community. Consider donating your new and used building materials, and furniture to Habitat ReStore and receiving a tax deduction! Habitat ReStore even accepts donations on materials that can’t be disposed of during Cleanup week.
Habitat ReStore is a home improvement thrift store that has a three-fold mission: to divert usable materials from area landfills, to offer a low cost option for shoppers doing home improvement projects, and to raise money to support Habitat for Humanity. By giving their donations another life, Habitat ReStore is able to divert almost 500 tons of materials from area landfills annually! All proceeds from Habitat ReStore support Lake Agassiz Habitat for Humanity as they build simple, decent, and affordable homes in partnership with families in Cass and Clay counties.
Cleanup Week Rules
Each city has their own specifications, which can be found on the Cleanup Week website.
1. Separate items of the same type into distinct piles (tires, appliances, furniture, brush, household garbage, etc.). Separate trucks collect the items.
2. Place garbage in disposable containers, except for oversized items.
3. Items will be collected on your normal garbage pickup day. Do not set items out more than one day early.
4. Crews will not return to pick up garbage set out too late.
5. Remove refrigerator and freezer doors. Do not place food or any other waste inside appliances.
6. Items must be from residences; no commercial waste will be accepted. Keep household garbage at least four feet away from other Cleanup Week items.
If you have home improvement materials that are in usable condition or are not accepted by the city, consider supporting your community and the environment by donating to Habitat ReStore and getting a tax deduction!
Drop Off: Bring your donation to Habitat ReStore, 210 11th Street North, Moorhead during store hours, which are 10-6 Mon – Fri and 10-4 Saturday.
Pick Up: Call (218) 359-0812 to schedule a FREE donation pick-up.
For a list of accepted donations, please visit our webpage.